It's October, which means writers around the nation are getting ready for National Novel Writing Month. This challenge can feel daunting if you're a discovery writer and dislike outlining before putting pen to paper.
10 Actionable Tips to Win National Novel Writing Month Without Planning
- Embrace spontaneity: Instead of spending time on detailed outlines, let your imagination run wild and allow the story to unfold naturally as you write. Use your Bright Bird Press brainstorm journal to take the pressure off thinking of everything in advance.
- Break the daily word count goal into even smaller chunks: Maybe 1,667 words daily feels like too much. What if you wrote 500 words first thing in the morning, another 500 during lunch, and the remaining 700 before bed?
- Create a writing routine: Establish a consistent writing schedule that works for you. Whether it's early mornings or late nights, find a time when you can focus and commit to writing every day.
- Find your writing flow: Discover what environment, atmosphere, or music helps you get into the writing zone. Experiment with different settings until you find what works best for you.
- Write first, edit later: Don't get caught up in perfecting every sentence during your first draft. Focus on getting the words down and save the editing for after NaNoWriMo.
- Use writing sprints: Set a timer for a short period, like 15 or 30 minutes, and challenge yourself to write as much as you can during that time. Take short breaks between sprints to refresh your mind.
- Find support and accountability: Join writing communities or connect with fellow writers participating in NaNoWriMo. Share your progress, encourage each other, and hold yourself accountable.
- Avoid distractions: Minimize distractions by turning off notifications, finding a quiet space, or using website blockers. Stay focused and fully immerse yourself in your writing during dedicated writing sessions.
- Embrace imperfection: Remember that NaNoWriMo is about quantity over quality. Allow yourself to write freely, embracing imperfections and knowing you can revise and polish your work later.
- Celebrate milestones: When you reach 10,000 words or completing certain chapters, celebrate! Treat yourself to your favorite drink, go for a walk,
With these tips, you can conquer National Novel Writing Month even if you're not a fan of planning. Grab your pen or fire up your keyboard, and let your creativity flow as you embark on this exciting writing adventure!
Good luck, and happy writing!