Are you looking for your next historical fantasy read that also features people of color? This was something I found myself seeking last summer (2020) as I began working on my own historical fantasy projects. I was surprised at how difficult it was to even find good search results, let alone books I wanted to read.
So if you’re also on the hunt, let me help you out with some options I found.
This list is defined by historical low fantasy or alternate reality with magical elements set on Earth circa 1803 – 1914 with main characters of color, specifically Black, Indigenous, Persons of Color including Asians (BIPOC).
The BIPOC persons cannot be supporting characters, they must be active and key to the plot. BIPOC characters should be human rather than a magical creature e.g. angel, demon, vampire, werewolf.
- Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger
- Spellbreaker by Charlie N. Holmberg
- Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho
- The Black God’s Drums by P. Djeli Clark
- Strange Star by Emma Carroll
- The Conductors by Nicole Glover
I took a screenshot of the American cover as the featured image for this blog post
- Dread Nation by Justina Ireland
- A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
Comment with your suggestions because I know there have got to be more that I’ve missed! I’ve also started a Goodreads list where you can also vote for your suggestions there.