I haven’t read some of these books in ten years, but for some reason they still haunt me. Here are my favorite fairy-tale inspired books (in no particular order)! I had to cap it at thirteen otherwise the list might never end. Though, there is a shortage of good fairy tale re-tellings, for some reason… I wonder why that is? Are there any really good ones I should know about that aren’t on this list?
- Spindle’s End – Robin McKinley
- Enchantment – Orson Scott Card
- Spellbound – Ru Emerson
- Golden – Cameron Dokey
- Seven Daughters and Seven Sons – Barbara Cohen and Bahija Lovejoy
- The Book of Atrix Wolfe – Patricia McKillip
- Deerskin – Robin McKinley
- Briar Rose – Jane Yolen
- The Door in the Hedge – Robin McKinley
- Phoenix and Ashes – Mercedes Lackey
- The Lark and the Wren – Mercedes Lackey
- The Pearl of the Soul of the World – Meredith Ann Pierce
- Sabriel – Garth Nix
Actually, there is this one retelling of the frog prince and I can’t remember the title of it.
I do know that the prince was turned into a frog as part of a magical conspiracy, and that the princess/girl fell in love with him when he was a frog, and that his own brother/uncle/relative throws him across the room so he hits the wall with a sickening crack. The girl, distraught, thinks the frog died, but he actually just broke the spell by angering his relative into chucking him across the room.
Anyone know the book I’m talking about? It was really good. Anyone have any books to add to the list?